Doctor Camp/Camp MD- AHEC partnership
Doctor Camp is a 1 day summer program that encourages interest in science and medicine through fun, interactive learning. The program is designed for inner city and minority students, but is open to all students grades 5-8.
Camp MD is a Medical Detective workshop that explores all the health professions and lasts 2 days. This camp is for high school students with an interest in medicine or any health career.
Medical student in partnership with our local AHEC office lead the "classes" the students take throughout the day for both Doctor Camp and Camp MD. The classes will each have a lesson plan and are fun for both the volunteers and students.
- Anatomy - Show students human anatomy using models and a skeleton. Talk about how the different parts of the body work.
- Pathology - Teach students about various organ systems using real plastinated organs. Talk about diseases associated with the systems with an emphasis on diseases related to substance abuse.
- Neurology - Show students the different parts of a brain using a model. Teach the students about nerves and simple reflexes and show them how to elicit a knee jerk reflex on each other.
- Radiology - This is an interactive session where students get to learn about radiology and point out basic anatomy and pathology on real x-rays.
- Physical Diagnosis - Teach students about heart and lung sounds and allow them to listen to each others heart and lungs. Show them how to find a pulse and measure blood pressure.
- Jeopardy - This is an energy intense activity where we assess what the students have learned throughout the day with a game of Jeopardy.
Camp registration (all camper registration, permission and non-medical student oversight is managed by AHEC)
Patricia Treadwell, MD